Smartphones are becoming more and more common these days. The reason being, cheap mobile phone deals and increasing needs of mobile phone users. Now, there are times when people, despite of possessing a smart-phone, are not able to use it to its potential. Therefore, i decided to list down some of the most useful applications that a person would want to have installed in his/her mobile phone. Before going through the list, i want you to know that i am a symbian user and therefore there might be some applications that may not be available on any other platform. So, here goes the list:
- Opera Browser – This includes opera mini and opera mobile. The reason for including opera mini is that it provides server side compression which helps in faster loading of pages. Opera mobile on the other hand is a full browsing client and can be easily used as a replacement of Mobile’s native browser.
- Gravity – This beauty is a must must have for any symbian user. It provides easy access to Twitter, Facebook, Google reader, etc. It’s a must have application for twitter addicts.
- Gmail – Not many would justify inclusion of this application in “must have” list. But, my only reason of including this application was the function of ‘Archieve’ and ‘Search’ provided by google’s own application. And as far as i know, no other client including emoze and Nokia Messaging has these 2 highly useful functions.
- Fring – IM client is required be every smartphone user. Though, nimbuzz is not bad at all, however, i prefer Fring as i have had some bad experiences with Nimbuzz. All in all both are equally good with some minor feature difference.
- BlackBaller – Your personal secretary serving multiple purposes. This application is a real money and time saver. Just enable it and avoid all spam/unwanted calls, sms, use it as answering machine to record messages, etc.
- Mobile Office Suite – The ultimate application for opening/editing documents on your mobile phone. And unlike, Quick Office, it also allows you to access, edit and upload documents to Google Docs!
- Google Maps – This is recommended only for those who don’t have the privilege of nokia’s free ovi maps with voice navigation. Though Google Maps doesn’t provide voice navigation, however it still is a must have app.
- X-plore – This application has varied uses. It can be used to extract zip files, rar files, hiding file’s, viewing hidden file’s, exploring system (mobile) file’s, etc. Though, i shouldn’t have included it in “must have” list but since i uses it occasionally and therefore put it down in this list.
- Free Signer – Very useful in signing and installing application’s whose signed version isn’t available. You can read about it more here and here.
- Wattpad – E-book reader for symbian/windows/blackberry/java/android phones. Let’s you view and download e-books for free on your mobile phone. Also allows offline reading. More information about this application can be found here.
- SmartMovie – Although i consider the native real player provided by Nokia. However, i still don’t get it, the reason for not supporting .avi format. And for this reason, i recommend SmartMovie. Besides some glitches (Like SmartMovie crashing – Solution can be found here), it’s a nice player to run .avi files.
- E-Moze – An alternative to Nokia Messaging. It has all the feature’s that i wanted to be in Nokia Messaging. Pop-up’s, ability to control interval, integration with nokia’s native sms application. But, not many would agree with me. And all those who don’t, please just give this beautiful app a try!
- Furtiv – Furtiv isn’t an application, it’s a website that provides plugin’s (Settings) that can be installed on you mobile phone. The plugin integrates itself with Nokia Share Online and allows you to upload images directly to Flickr, Picasa, Twitter and Facebook with the touch of a button!
The above mentioned application’s are my personal recommendation, the one’s i think are a must for all the mobile phone users. In case you think that some application is missing in this list or should not have been mentioned here, then do leave a comment below!