Amazon has announced that Kindle Fire HD 8.9” — the large-screen version of its best-selling tablet — is now available in the UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain and Japan. With the expansion of Kindle Fire HD 8.9” to Europe and Japan, Amazon also announced it is able to lower the price of Kindle Fire HD 8.9” in the US, with the Wi-Fi version.
The Kindle Fire HD 8.9 inch Wi-Fi tablet will now be priced at $269 in the United States, down from $299. The 4G wireless version now starts at $399, compared with $499 before, Amazon said.
“As we expand Kindle Fire HD 8.9” to Europe and Japan, we’ve been able to increase our production volumes and decrease our costs. Across our business at Amazon, whenever we are able to create cost efficiencies like this, we want to pass the savings along to our customers,” said Dave Limp, Vice President, Amazon Kindle business.
Amazon launched its first Kindle Fire tablet in 2011 to compete with Apple Inc’s dominant iPad and other tablets from companies such as Samsung that run on Google Inc’s Android operating system. Amazon sells its devices at cost, undercutting Apple prices. Amazon aims to make money when customers use its tablets to buy physical and digital products from the company, such as movies, music, games and apps.
Kindle Fire HD 8.9” is the highest-resolution, largest-display Kindle Fire. Designed for entertainment, it is perfect for web, apps, movies, games and magazines. Features include:
- Large 8.9” display has the highest resolution of any Kindle Fire (1920×1200, 254 ppi), with rich color and deep contrast; ideal for movies, apps, and gaming.
- Custom Dolby audio and dual stereo speakers for crisp, rich sound.
- Over 23 million movies, TV shows, songs, magazines, books, and audiobooks.
- The most popular apps and games.
- Ultra-fast web browsing and streaming with built-in dual-band, dual-antenna Wi-Fi.
- Front-facing HD camera for taking photos or making video calls.
- Exceptional battery life — Kindle Fire HD 8.9” gets 10 hours of battery life.
- Easy-to-use e-mail, calendar, and contacts for work or home, including Gmail, Hotmail, Exchange, and more.
- New Amazon-exclusive features like X-Ray for Movies, X-Ray for Textbooks, Immersion Reading, Whispersync for Voice and Whispersync for Games.