I have had a chance to play with Samsung Galaxy 5 I5503, a Google Android 2.1 running device. Unfortunately Galaxy 5 I5503 hasn’t qualified to get Froyo update (Android 2.2) although it should have, no compatibility issues. Anyway, I was determined to get Android 2.2 running on my Galaxy 5 and was successful too! A big thanks to Samfirmware for Android 2.2 firmware for Galaxy 5 series phones (I5500/I5503).
The process to install (I know this tutorial is a bit late) and get Android 2.2 running on your Galaxy phone is very easy. Just follow the following mentioned points in order and your mobile phone will soon enjoy all the features of Android Froyo update!
Files You Need To Have Before Installing Android 2.2:
- ODIN Downloader – Download using this link
- OPS File – Download using this link
- Original Samsung Galaxy 5 cable
- Android 2.2 firmware – Download using this link
Process To Flash Your Samsung Galaxy 5:
- You must have downloaded all the files mentioned above and have them ready to use.
- Backup all the contents of your phone memory with KIES or using Mobile Back Up II (available for free on Android App Store).
- Reset your phone to factory settings (Not compulsory but advised).
- Make sure the battery is fully charged up.
- Switch Off your Galaxy 5 (I5503/I5500). Remove battery and re-insert after a few seconds.
- Press the following buttons together:
- Volume Down Button + Center Home Button (Big square) + Power Button
- Wait for “Downloading” screen to appear. Once this screen comes up release the buttons and connect your phone with computer using original data cable.
- Now wait for your computer to install device driver (until it shows “the device is ready to use”). In the mean time extract the I5500LUYJP2.rar file which will give you a I5500LUYJP2 folder with I5500LUYJP2.tar file in it.
- Now open ODIN Downloader (downloaded above), if the phone connection is successful the box under COM Port Mapping will turn to yellow. Select the following check boxes (as shown in screenshot below):
- One Package, Auto Reboot and Protect Ops check-boxes.
- Select the Ops file (downloaded above).
- Select the tar package downloaded above.
- Cross check the settings and hit “Start”.
That’s it! In approximately 5 minutes your device will restart and boot into Android 2.2 with beautiful icons and lot many new features 🙂
If you face any problem then do leave a comment below, I’ll try my best to answer it to the best of my knowledge.
In case you mess up or something stuck for you then download the original firmware for Samsung Galaxy 5 I5503 using this link and follow the exact steps from point number 5. This should restore your device back to Android 2.1.
Note: This process is based on my personal experience and since every device is different hence you are on your own while flashing your device. I, or any other author of TechVorm will NOT be responsible for any loss caused due to this. However, I’ll be happy to help you if need be.