If you are a facebook addict and have an Android running smartphone then you must be aware of the official facebook application, the progress that it has made in the past few updates and the horrible push notification system it has. Now, there are different android applications that can be used to access facebook on mobile phone but lets face it, the functionality that the official facebook app offers is not offered by others.
So, what should we do about it’s notification system. Nudge facebook developers? Many have done so and we are seeing what they have done to improve it (not much!). Here comes MB Notifications app, an application for Android users which takes care of all the notifications that you receive on Facebook! Cool, innit? The best part is, it actually works! You do get all the notifications, be it a new friend request or “the not so useful” pokes, everything right on your android device as and when it occurs…!
Here’s a review and my experience using MB Notifications for Android:
Let me tell you one thing, although an app like this, that works in background and shows notifications in top bar and/or pop-ups, need not be judged based on what, how it’s homepage looks. But still, MB Notifications has a beautifully categorized app homepage displaying all the notifications that you have received. And read/unread notifications are duly separated. Good thinking, I’d say.
There’s a LOT to configure, so much to choose from! I am listing down some of the important and worth mentioning settings:
- Customize the way you want to be notified, in the form of top bar alerts or via pop-up’s.
- Ability to save profile pictures (caching) in phone memory or external memory. This becomes important for those will limited phone memory.
- Update interval can be set depending on the your preference. And you can automate MB Notifications to disable itself during a fixed time period. Saves precious data cost.
- Customize the event’s to notify viz. inbox messages, online friends, event invites, etc.
- Juice defender mode that saves unnecessary polling in case there is no data network available. Thus in turn saving battery.
MB Notifications (Free Version – Limited Features) – Android Market Link