US online retail giant Amazon has got hold of gold in the form of its Kindle Fire range of tablets, which are huge success since its launch two years ago. Amazon has now expanded its portfolio of Kindle range and introduced the third-generation Kindle Fire HDX tablets in sizes of 7″ and 8.9″ scree sizes, with stunning features.
Salient features of Kindle Fire HDX tablets:
- Amazon’s exclusive HDX display brings together exceptional pixel density (1920×1200 at 323 ppi for 7″, 2560×1600 at 339 ppi for 8.9″) and perfect color accuracy (100% sRGB), resulting in images and videos that display as the photographer or videographer intended.
- Kindle Fire HDX tablets are the first tablets powered by quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor running at 2.2 GHz, which provides over 3x the processing power compared to the previous generation. These tablets have 2GB RAM.
- Both the tablets run on Fire OS 3.0 “Mojito” which is based on Google’s Android Jelly Bean. Fire OS is compatible with native Android. Fire OS starts with Android and adds cloud services, a content-first user interface, built-in media libraries, productivity apps and low-level platform enhancements to integrate Amazon’s digital content and improve performance for Kindle Fire tablets. If an app runs on Android, it can run on Fire OS.
- Kindle Fire HDX 8.9″ is the lightest large-screen tablet, 34% lighter than the previous generation
- Both the 7″ and 8.9″ Kindle Fire HDX feature a front-facing HD camera to help you stay in touch with friends and family withSkype. Fire HDX 8.9″ features an 8 megapixel rear-facing camera that allows for high-resolution photos and 1080p HD video, plus an LED flash and Electronic Image Stabilization.
- The company claims that both the devices have battery life–up to 11 hours of mixed use and 17 hours of reading.
- Revolutionary new Mayday button provides live tech support. This one touch connects you to an Amazon expert who can guide you remotely through any feature–24×7, 365 days a year, and it’s free. 15 seconds or less is the Mayday response time goal.
- Dual stereo speakers with Dolby Digital Plus audio and virtual 5.1 multi-channel surround sound.
- Best video experience on a tablet with new Amazon-exclusive features like Prime Instant Video downloads, Second Screen, and expanded X-Ray for Movies and TV.
- Deep integration with the world’s best content ecosystem–over 27 million movies, TV shows, songs, apps, games, books, audiobooks and magazines.
- New Origami covers feature an innovative design that allows you to position Fire HDX in both portrait and landscape.
- Both HDX 7″ and 8.9″ available with ultra-fast 4G LTE wireless. Available on the AT&T network, and for the first time on the Verizon Wireless network for US customers only.
Pricing & Availability
The 7″ Kindle Fire HDX is $229. It is available for pre-order starting today at www.amazon.com/hdx-7 and will begin shippingOctober 18. The 4G version is $329–you can pre-order today and it will begin shipping November 14.
The 8.9″ Kindle Fire HDX is $379. It is available for pre-order starting today and will begin shipping onNovember 7. The 4G version is $479–you can pre-order today and it will begin shipping December 10.
Amazon has also announced updated version of its Kindle Fire HD tablet for $139, which was earlir priced at $199.
With the introduction of new Kindle Fire HDX tablets, Amazon want to capitalise on upcoming festive season and want to take more share of tablet market, which is dominated by Apple’s iPad and Samsung’s Galaxy Tabs.