US online retail giant had announced state-of-the art Kindle Fire with 8.9″ display in the month of September, alongwith other devices. As scheduled, Amazon.com today announced that the new 8.9″ Kindle Fire HDX–the lightest large-screen tablet–is now shipping in US. The price of this tablet is $ 379.
Salient features of Kindle Fire HDX 8.9″:
- Amazon’s exclusive HDX display brings together exceptional pixel density ( 2560×1600 at 339 ppi) and perfect color accuracy (100% sRGB), resulting in images and videos that display as the photographer or videographer intended.
- Kindle Fire HDX tablets are the first tablets powered by quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor running at 2.2 GHz, which provides over 3x the processing power compared to the previous generation. The other tablet in this segment has 7″ display. These tablets have 2GB RAM.
- This tablet run on Fire OS 3.0 “Mojito” which is based on Google’s Android Jelly Bean. Fire OS is compatible with native Android. Fire OS starts with Android and adds cloud services, a content-first user interface, built-in media libraries, productivity apps and low-level platform enhancements to integrate Amazon’s digital content and improve performance for Kindle Fire tablets. If an app runs on Android, it can run on Fire OS.
- Kindle Fire HDX 8.9″ is the lightest large-screen tablet, 34% lighter than the previous generation
- Both the 7″ and 8.9″ Kindle Fire HDX feature a front-facing HD camera to help you stay in touch with friends and family withSkype. Fire HDX 8.9″ features an 8 megapixel rear-facing camera that allows for high-resolution photos and 1080p HD video, plus an LED flash and Electronic Image Stabilization.
- The company claims that both the devices have battery life–up to 11 hours of mixed use and 17 hours of reading.
- Revolutionary new Mayday button provides live tech support. This one touch connects you to an Amazon expert who can guide you remotely through any feature–24×7, 365 days a year, and it’s free. 15 seconds or less is the Mayday response time goal.
- Dual stereo speakers with Dolby Digital Plus audio and virtual 5.1 multi-channel surround sound.
- Best video experience on a tablet with new Amazon-exclusive features like Prime Instant Video downloads, Second Screen, and expanded X-Ray for Movies and TV.
- Deep integration with the world’s best content ecosystem–over 27 million movies, TV shows, songs, apps, games, books, audiobooks and magazines.
- New Origami covers feature an innovative design that allows you to position Fire HDX in both portrait and landscape.
Kindle Fire HDX 8.9″ has received positive reviews from the technical analysts. We reproduce below few comments of the experts:
- “Amazon is clearly waging a battle on the display front. The company keeps upping its game, and indeed, the screen here dazzles, with 2,560 x 1,600 resolution and a pixel density of 339 pixels per inch.” – Engadget
- “The Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 is a performance monster that speeds through Web sites and UI navigation at a frantic pace. Its screen is impressively sharp and its body amazingly light for a larger tablet. The Mayday feature gives personal and near-instant customer service.” – CNet
- “…it [Kindle Fire HDX 8.9″] is emerging as the strongest challenger yet to Apple’s device.” – Associated Press
- “This is probably the best screen I own for watching movies.” – TechHive