As reported by Reuters news agency, South Korean mobile handsets giant – Samsung Electronics said it will launch its new Galaxy S smartphone on March 14 in New York, taking its fight for market supremacy to Apple Inc’s doorstep after reportedly being inundated with requests from U.S. mobile carriers.
It will be the first U.S. launch of Samsung’s flagship Galaxy smartphone in three years, company spokeswoman Chenny Kim said, and comes amid a Samsung advertising blitz in the United States that has including light-hearted jabs at Apple’s fans.
“We introduced the Galaxy S III in London last year, and this time we changed the venue (to New York)… as we were bombarded with requests from U.S. mobile carriers to unveil the Galaxy S IV in the country,” Samsung Electronics’ mobile division chief JK Shin was quoted as saying on the Edaily news website.
The new Galaxy S model is expected to feature a higher-resolution display and camera than its predecessor, as well as a faster quad-core processor, media reports said.
Samsung Electronics may have lost its lead in the U.S. handset market but globally the $210 billion South Korean giant is expected to widen its smartphone advantage over its arch-rival Apple Inc., helped by a broad product line-up.
The Galaxy S IV model will heat up competition in the crucial U.S. mobile phone market, where Apple still command dominance and Samsung plans to hit its rival where it will pinch them the most.
It is Samsung’s smart strategy not to showcase its new flagship device in the just started MWC in Barcelona, where it is going to display low-end products. Samsung’s strategy to choose New York is to make their launch event a grand show and get maximum world-wide media attention.