US online retail giant Amazon has announced the new Fire HDX 8.9 tablet at $379.This tablet has light design, stunning HDX display with a new, more powerful processor, exclusive Dolby Atmos and the latest Dolby Audio, and all-new Fire OS 4 “Sangria” features and services.
Fire HDX 8.9 is now available for pre-order starting today at www.amazon.com/hdx and will start shipping in October. The 4G version is priced at $479, and can also be pre-ordered at www.amazon.com/fire-hdx-8.9-4g and it will begin shipping in October.
Amazon has listed following features of new Fire HDX:
- It is driven by powerful 2.5 GHz processor with a 70% faster graphics engine for exceptional speed and fluidity, especially for graphically-intensive games.
- Exclusive HDX display with incredible pixel density (339 ppi) and perfect 100% sRGB color accuracy–now with Dynamic Light Control, which makes the pages of a book more closely resemble a real piece of paper in different lighting conditions.
- Startlingly light design–20% lighter than iPad Air.
- Exclusive new audio–twice as loud as iPad Air, with crisp, clear sound and no distortion; plus Fire HDX is the first tablet with Dolby Atmos.
- Fastest Wi-Fi, with support for 802.11ac MIMO which delivers up to 4x the peak bandwidth.
- Available with ultrafast 4G LTE wireless.
- New Fire Keyboard is the thinnest and lightest full-featured tablet keyboard, with a trackpad to make productivity and navigation easier than ever.
- Powered by the latest version of Fire OS–Fire OS 4 “Sangria”–with hundreds of new and upgraded features, platform updates, and Amazon-exclusive services.
- Family Library lets all members of your household access your apps, games, audiobooks, books, and Prime Instant Video content, even if they use a different Amazon account.
- Free, unlimited cloud storage for photos taken with new Fire tablets, automatically backed-up wirelessly.
- Front-facing HD camera makes it easy to stay in touch with Skype; 8MP rear-facing camera allows for high-resolution photos and 1080p HD video, and includes an LED flash, Electronic Image Stabilization, and a wide-aperture f/2.2 lens. The Camera application also allows customers to capture panoramas, lenticulars, and HDR recommended shots, and the film strip gives access to recent photos and videos, along with the ability to view, edit, share, and delete right from the camera.
- Firefly lets you quickly identify printed web and email addresses, phone numbers, QR and bar codes, plus over 100 million items, including movies, TV episodes, songs, and products.
- ASAP (Advanced Streaming and Prediction) predicts which movies and TV episodes you’ll want to watch and buffers them for playback before you even hit play, so videos start instantly.
- The Mayday button delivers revolutionary live tech support–one touch connects you to an Amazon expert who can guide you remotely through any feature–24×7, 365 days a year, and it’s free. Nearly 75% of Fire HDX and Fire phone customer questions now come via the Mayday button.
- Fire HDX delivers incredible battery life–up to 12 hours of reading, surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching videos, and listening to music–without adding weight or thickness to the design.
“The team has packed an incredible amount of technology and innovation into the new Fire HDX–an exclusive HDX display, a powerful quad-core processor, a 70% faster graphics engine, exceptional audio with Dolby Atmos, and the fastest Wi-Fi–and it’s still startlingly light,” said Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com Founder and CEO. “Fire HDX combines best-in-class hardware with exclusive features and services from Fire OS 4 including Firefly, the Mayday button, Family Library, ASAP, and more.”