South Korean mobile handsets and electronics giant has announced today that its 26 products were in the spotlight once again at the annual iF Design Awards. LG G Flex smartphone was selected as one of the 75 Gold Award winners, and LG ULTRA HD TV and flagship G2 smartphone also receiving recognitions. Announced annually by the iF International Forum Design to recognize products that demonstrate excellence and innovation in the field of design, this year’s competition attracted more than 4,600 entries.
“LG has put much emphasis on becoming an industry leader in product design,” said Dr. Scott Ahn, LG’s Chief Technology Officer. “To achieve this, R&D works very closely with design from the onset. Our philosophy is to incorporate innovative designs into our products in order to evoke an emotional response and increase the intimate relationship between our products and consumers.”
LG G Flex is the first smartphone with curved display, introduced by LG. The LG G Flex sports a 6-inch HD (1280 x 720) display, and is powered by a 2.26GHz Snapdragon 800 processor, an Adreno 330 GPU, and 2GB of RAM and 32GB of internal memory. As per LG, the display found in the G Flex is the world’s largest Plastic OLED (POLED) display developed and mass produced specifically for smartphones. The ultra-thin, ultra-light flexible POLED display and curved OLED panel are built on plastic substrates instead of glass, giving LG G Flex its unique shape and durability. The LG G Flex is equipped with a 13-megapixel rear camera, and a 2.1-megapixel rear camera. The G Flex weighs just 177 grams, and runs on Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2 OS.
The G Flex’s ergonomic provides a more comfortable user experience by following the contours of the user’s face and placing the speaker and microphone closer to the ear and mouth. The G Flex was commended by iF judges for implementing a new approach to the smartphone interface by putting controls on the back and adopting a curved display.
iF judges also praised the LG G2 smartphone for its high level of innovation and convenience-oriented design features, particularly its Rear Key which puts the volume and power buttons on the back of the device. As the only smartphone in the world without any buttons on its sides, the distinctive look of the G2 is matched only by its performance. Last year, the G2 took the President’s Award of Good Design, South Korea’s top honor in design excellence.
LG’s ULTRA HD TV (Model 65LA9700) also impressed the iF judges with its immersive viewing experience for its CINEMA SCREEN design and ultra slim bezel. LG also integrated a 4.1 channel Sliding Speaker that automatically retracts when the TV is turned off. This intelligent speaker design, not to mention the lush, high-quality sound from the speakers, makes the 65LA9700 one of LG’s most popular TV models.
Other LG products recognized at the iF Design Awards 2014 include:
– SoundPlate (Model LAP340), a chic sound system wrapped in a thin, flat, minimalist body that can be placed directly under today’s premium TVs
– Sound Bar (Model NB5530) boasts an ultra slim design with a height of only 35mm in a premium black and metallic silver finish to blend into any living room
– 34-inch IPS 21:9 UltraWide monitor (Model 34UM95) with its transparent Crystal Float Stand and CINEMA SCREEN Design
– Ultra PC (Model 13Z940), weighing less than 1kg, sports a clean, minimalist design and 4.4mm Super Narrow Bezel
– ARTCOOL Stylist Inverter V (Model A12IWK) air conditioner boasts a unique ring of subtle LED mood lighting, proprietary 3D airflow feature, near-silent operation and significant energy savings
– ARTCOOL Slim Inverter V (Model CA12RWK) delivers a winning combination of energy efficient, health-centric features and advanced technologies such as Active Energy Control, Energy Display and Plasmaster Ionizer Plus