Immediately after announcement of new iPhone 5 by Apple in USA on 12th September, 2012, many trade and technology analysts have given divided opinion about the success of this new device. While majority of them are of the view that despite lack of wow factor, Apple will still be able to sell around 10 million of their new iPhone in this quarter. This figure can be achieved because of ensuing festive shopping season and brand equity of Apple. It will start accepting pre-orders today and the new iPhone will be shipped in select countries from September 21, 2012.
However, this time Apple will not have the same success story as it was with its last iteration of iPhone 4S. This time Android handsets especially of Samsung’s Galaxy S III and LG’s Optimus and Sony’s Xperia range have made significant inroads into global mobile arena. Apple may be popular in USA but this time, their new iPhone 5 will face stiff competition in Asia market, where Samsung’s Galaxy range is widely prevalent. There is no doubt that Apple will sell this time also but to say it will be unprecedented or record-breaking sale is not an appropriate statement to make at the moment. Only the coming days will tell how the prospective consumers react to Apple’s cosmetic changes in new iPhone 5 and whether it proves game changer or just another device in Apple’s portfolio.
Key Features Of iPhone 5
- Height – 123.8 mm (4.87 inches), Width – 58.6 mm (2.31 inches), Depth – 7.6 mm (0.30 inches)
- Weight – 112 grams (3.95 ounces)
- Touchscreen – 4″ inch
- Pixel density – 326 per inch
- Display – 1136×640 pixels
- Siri – Upgraded to allow spoken recommendations for films or restaurants. Possible to update Facebook status by voice command.
- Processor – A6 chip said to be twice as quick as A5.
- Internal Memory – 16 GB, 32 GB and 64 GB
- Operating System – Apple iOS 6
- 8 pin “lightning” connector to power sources and docking stations on speakers, radios and other devices. New adaptor will allow connections to existing 30 pin docking stations.