Well as expected just after two weeks of launch of the new apple iPhone 3G S its jailbreaking software has now been released ,application dubbed as purplera1n. This is the first jailbreaking utility released (for the iPhone 3G S) till now and it is released by the same person geohot aka George Francis Hotz who unlocked the first iPhone.
Despite the fact that the iPhone development teams refused to jailbreak the iPhone 3G S until iPhone OS 3.1 gets out ,this cool dude came up from nowhere to release this jailbreak. He writes on his blog that “Normally I don’t make tools for the general public, and rather wait for the dev team to do it. But guys, whats up with waiting until 3.1? That isn’t how the game is played. We release, Apple fixes, we find new holes”
The jailbreak allows you to customize your iPhone with third party ringtones ,themes ,applications ,home-sceen wallpapers ,etc. The Windows only (not Windows 7) Prurplera1n jailbreaking utility for iPhone 3GS is surprisingly just 394 KB in size, and needs no IPSW files to jailbreak your phone. Here is a step-by-step guide to jailbreak your iPhone 3G S
1. Download Purplera1n Jailbreak Utility for iPhone 3GS. [394 KB]
2. Make sure you have iPhone 3GS with 3.0 Firmware and have iTunes 8.2 installed.
3. Connect your phone and launch Purplera1n.
4. Click “make it ra1n” button.
5. Wait for the phone to get into recovery mode, be patient it might take a while don’t reboot the device manually.
6. You should now see a picture from the website purplera1n.
7. The iPhone should now reboot automatically and a new application named Freeze should be there in springboard.
8. Launch Freeze and install Cydia.
9. Reboot iPhone.
Make sure to have everything backed up before running. Also if Cydia doesn’t show up after running Freeze, reboot.