File Manager is required to keep your mobile phone clean from unwanted files/folders as well as for properly organising the content on the mobile phone. There are a lot many file managers available for mobile phone’s running Symbian OS but very few provide the functionality people look for. FExplorer Pro, a product of SBSH, is one such mobile application for symbian platform which allows file management as well as plethora of other features. I tried FExplorer for a while and here’s my take on the application:
FExplorer Pro Review
The installation size of FExplorer Pro is just under 600 kB (585 kB to be pricise!) and can be installed on either the phone memory or memory card, thus saving the precious phone memory on Nokia phones. Once you install the application the homescreen shows all the drives (Flash, RAM, Disk & ROM) present on your mobile phone along with the current running processes and tasks. You can access the files in the folders (including the hidden system files), do basic operations like cut, copy and paste and compress/Un-compress the files (zip) to save space. FExplorer was able to compress large files (around 40 MB) without any problem and extract files from zip archive. FExplorer, as I mentioned above, not only does the basic file management function but provides the following features too:
- Show a list of all the current running tasks with an option to:
- See detailed information about the task.
- Switch to any running task and put the current application in the background (Almost similar to a basic task manager).
- Close/kill any running task.
- Comes with bundled application viz.
- Screenshot – For taking snaps of the screen of your mobile phone. I didn’t like the functionality as It failed to capture the image of the screen many times. Screensnap turned out to be a better alternative.
- Backlight – Once enabled, it keeps the backlight turned on until your disable it.
- Bluetooth Manager – To turn on/off the bluetooth.
- Memory Monitor – Once enabled, it shows a small memory bar right on top of your mobile phone’ screen in order to monitor the memory consumption. A great way to keep an eye on the RAM usage of your mobile phone!
- Compress Memory – I wasn’t able to test this even after I was left with just 6-7 MB free RAM. I wonder the level at which this features comes into use :p
- Installed Applications – The most useful feature that I liked amongst the others. It saves a test file on either the phone memory or memory card with the details (names, etc) of all the application installed on your mobile phone. A feature for which I was looking for a dedicated application but couldn’t find any.
Other than it’s ability to do the small tasks mentioned above, FExplore provides productive information about your mobile phone (Phone model, IMEI number, Processor type, speed, etc), Network related information (Can be used for network diagnosis), Current IP of the connected network, etc.
In a single sentence, FExplorer is a must have File Manager with features more than any other File Manager for symbian based mobile’s. I’d recommend FExplorer to all the mobile phone owners. FExplorer Pro 2.2 is a paid application costing $5.99 and is available for S60 phones. You can download the trial version of FExplorer by visiting this link.